Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The joy of a working code....

Even person not entirely coding geeks appreciate the immense joy one has when after hours of toil and ardent work a code works, no Errors, zilch glitches.... I hate coding more than any part of acads more, I would rather sit around killing all my time than code.... I sucked at CP-1 and CP-2 and managed to get a low B. This very hatred of coding makes me terrified of it. Inspite of all this one fine day you are given 6 codes of 2000 lines each and asked to modify it. WOW talk about nightmarish experience!!!! It all started when I decided to do engineering, oblivious to the fact that a very negligible amount of those people actually work in a lab , most of them being researchers while scads of them are slammed onto a 6x6 cubicle with a comp and asked to code... well I get it , coding forms the basis of everything, it is essential to code and blah blah blah... BUT I don't like it. But 9 out of 10 persons in this world wished they would get work they like so I am no different. Sometimes all of this makes me really really want to do a PhD and be a professor and do work I like for the rest of my life... then again it's a different story and a whole blog has to be dedicated to it.

So coming back to the joys of a working code, generating results you expect it to. Ever since I was given this huge folder of source codes and modify it, I had been trying to just postpone it, hoping by some miracle my mentor would realise I am best suited to work in a lab and send me there. This was not to happen. instead after a good 3-4 days of giving me twelve thousand lines of code, he called me and asked, "Is it ready?" There went all my hopes of working in a lab down the drain.After much ado I started to work on the code and let me tell you one thing it is neither interesting nor easy to go through a code someone else has written and modify it. It took me a week to understand what the code is doing let alone modify it.

After spending another week pondering over the code, it finally seemed to generate an ounce of interest in me, and after tinkering with it for another week it seemed to work partially. I worked on it again and again doing all kinds of experiments on it. Weird things keep happening with it, when i implemented something I knew was wrong it would show no error and when i did something I knew was correct it would show errors. The first time I run it , it showed 750 errors. I had to go and lie down before coming back in front of the computer screen again.And I thought I am going to work on this stupid code for 6 months and then also get an incomplete implementation . Then there came the day when I was as usual doing some experiments on the code and VOILA!!!! it worked, everything, giving all the results I wanted, not saying "Segmentation fault", or" file not found", or "Encoded decoded values not match" or hanging in between....

I know I sound like a loser in this blog with no better thing to be happy about except a stupid code working which is not even the major part of my project, but I don't care... The bottom line is THE CODE WORKED!!!

Even though the joy was not much long lived as the same day in the evening I was given another code to work upon and modify.

2 comments:

Chaitanya Chintaluri said...

a LOW b in cp1 n 2 eh ? :|

i still have my compiler saying linker error, i tried changing the platform form vc++ to python, turbo c , matlab, n finally it wrks on vb now. n i still havnt figured what the hell the link error is.

i guess its universal that we all HATE the codes others write. escp the ones with no damn comments, its like as if, the coder doesnt want you to understand. we get impulsive want to write the whole thing all over again. sheessh !

the bottom line is, i m happy :) its working. nice post! :)

marvelman said...

and i thot i am the only unlucky one. no1 hates coding more than i do, trust me, no1 hates cp 1 and cp2 and the way they were taught, more than me...and codes with no comments are irritating, i havnt encountered here in the office till now, and i hope i dont.
initially when i had come here, i thot we wud all be given mast designing stuff, khud sikhke karenge, but it all comes down to this..why why why???