Saturday, July 14, 2007

MUMBAI....


Hate it or Like it… it won’t change…. It’s too big to care for you…. And it is for this very reason that many people find it mesmerising. Mumbai stops for no one… be it the president or a beggar. It knows nothing but to move … to whiz past the times be it good or bad … from the bomb blasts to the share market boom…its always on the move swallowing millions and millions of dreamers who arrive in this city of magic to attain what they always wanted fame or money or whatever …. Never ending never stopping never sleeping…. That’s what Mumbai is …. There’s no room for the lazy or people wanting a relaxed lifestyle. The adrenaline rush you feel every time you step out into this fast paced world is undeniable and probably can’t be explained in words. The rush to catch a local to work every morning may seem maddening when you first step out into the city but you learn to live it... in fact when you don’t do that travelling part you think something is missing. Talking about me the best part for me everyday is the travel by local… even if I don’t get a place to sit. You stand near the door and feel the wind in our hair and how everything is just left behind… you just can’t help but fall in love. In the morning the trains are filled with commuters travelling hours to reach their place of work… every morning you witness a struggle… a struggle to get into the trains a struggle to get a seat a struggle to get down a struggle to work to earn a living a struggle to survive in this crazy city. This is what most Mumbaikars would proudly say “Amchi Mumbai”. And somehow unknowingly I have also got drawn into this struggle for the past two months. They will hate it complain about it but an outsider better not point it for it is their pride to live here. There is a constant flow of people into the city who never seem to leave it once you come to the city you are bound by it whether you like to reside here or not you are bound by it. Let us take my personal experience I hated Mumbai when I came here and started my PS (will explain a li’l while later) for I was alone when everyone seemed to have a companion but as time went by I realized no one knew anyone they are all just strangers like me. But I was jealous of the people in other PS with their friends while I was alone I was jealous about the way they spent their weekends hanging out at the cool places in the city they were assigned and in all this jealousy I declined the charm Mumbai held out for me. I always thought you need a companion to fall in love with Mumbai as a whole and I was certainly right but not 100 percent you do need a person to completely fall for Mumbai. In the past two months I have spent here doing my PS I had cried initially for I was alone and trust me people there is no other bigger torture than being deprived of your friends and family’s love and attention. Out of your family you are suddenly no longer the center of universe and for someone who had been pampered all her life by her parents it’s a very difficult job surviving outside your nest, but my past two years have made me able enough to carve out a niche for myself in this tough world. Though it was quite a different thing than your hostel where you have strangers in the same position as yours and this might have helped you to forge relationships in your hostel but it was not the same thing. But lets just say I survived and this in itself I think is a personal achievement for me though not a big one but I learnt to live this hard period of two months and I am happy I did managed without a major breakdown.

12 comments:

Swapnesh Panda said...

i agree to you... the biggest punishment one can get is being solitude... & you hv just come out of the ordeal as a brave girl... u have just maturer

Ved Pragyan said...

thank you very much...

Nimit said...

mumbai (my home) is one city which accepts everyone with open arms ...good post abt mumbai and welcome to blogging ..... its fun :)

Ved Pragyan said...

ya i know... Mumbai is a great place but still I am an ardent fan of Delhi(my home) .... thanks

Sagar... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sagar... said...

mumbai seems to truly depict what i thot when i visited it for 2 days n searched my frndz house in da city alone wid da train map in my hand....life in a fast river rapid...u hate it first...den get used to it...n den feel proud of hw u r living...coz hw true it is that life is a struggle..n ppl never have enuf...i guess living in such a city teaches u hw 2 fight..coz ppl arnd u r so fast paced tht maybe ur mindset change..u must have surely come out a lot stronger...shld be proud...excellent :)

Sagar... said...

but da question arises is- is life all abt struggle??...hw will mumbaikars adapt to places like goa...whot say?

Ved Pragyan said...

yes ... i think its all about the struggle no matter what section of society you belong to... not all people can stay in laid back places in Goa .... its fun... most people out here in Mumbai go there for fun... because for them it will be like living at a snail's pace....and even if they go to places like Goa they will certainly miss the adrenaline... ask the mumbaikars in our college.. :)

uday said...

cheers to you
awsome writeup....

Sagar... said...

hmmmm...true..n what do u think abt da "dont care" attitude tht exists?..or does it...like u said..no one stops for anyone...iv been 2 mumbai n its all cramped up...ppl just living..its a way of life no doubt...toiling way...bt its claims a lot of lives n dreams...any room for compassion??...or is life merely reduced 2 just a struggle so tht u wldnt have time to bother whether say ur neighbour recovered from an illness??

Ved Pragyan said...

i think all sorts of people are here ones with don't care attitude and one who do care.... and i have met both sort of people here .... if you are talking about people being acquainted with their neighbours and all... its there but in places where families put up not in places where individuals stay who just need a place to keep stuff and get back from work...

Sagar... said...

hmmm...lotsa individuals cm 2 mumbai wid dreamz probably...bt end up losing their sanity...tough tough life....bt those who like it, live it...dats da spirit!!